Jun 15, 2011

Verses for my kids

When Stella was born I was given the book Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noel Piper.  I loved it.  I've read it a few times now and I still love it.  She talked about how she chose a hymn for each of her children, learned it, and then sang it to them as a lullaby, or to comfort them, or whenever.  I really liked that idea, and have chosen songs for my kids.  Stella's is A Mighty Fortress is Our God by Martin Luther, and Bruce's is In Christ Alone by Keith and Kristyn Getty. 

Along the same lines, and I don't know if this is something I picked up from the book or not.  I really feel like I just stumbled into it.  But I also chose verses for my children.  With Stella it was a verse I was just in love with at the time, and really wanted her to grow up with the understanding of who God is, and what her response to him should be.  Her verse is Deuteronomy 6:4-5 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your might."

Bruce's Verse is Proverbs 31:9 "Open your mouth, judge righteously, And defend the rights of the afflicted and needy."  I want that for my son.  Not that I don't want it for Stella, or that I don't want Bruce to understand Stella's.  This verse stood out to me in it's context.  It's a mother speaking to her son who will be the king.  She wants him to be a righteous man, and a godly man, and leader.  Things I want for my son.

So tell me, have you picked a verse for your children?  What are they?

I'm linking up with WFMW at We Are That Family.




No comments:

Post a Comment